Thursday, November 3, 2011

Bargain or Bust?



I'm a Stila makeup girl ( Smashbox too ) I've been really good and haven't bought any very high end makeup in over a year. Last year Stila released a holiday eyeshadow palette that was like a color wheel. I really really really wanted that but refrained because it was a need. So I've been pining over it ever since.

This year they released another one a "Dreamcatcher" palette that also included blush and came with a free eye pencil. This year it seemed like a better bargain coming with 7 blushes and 29 eyeshadows and the aforementioned smudge stick eye pencil. The cost $39 a bargain for prestige cosmetics but a fortune when you can compare it to what you can get at the drugstore will deals and coupons.

I had just received my $10 P&G rebate gift card so I used that to reduce my OOP to $29. Now on the box it states you are getting a $366 value which I guess is based on the concept of you buying each eyeshadow individually  A single eyeshadow from Stila is $18 and blushes are $20 and I HAVE paid that in the past. Of course these aren't full size pans but let's compare anyways  29 x $18 = $522 plus 7 x $20 = $140 plus the smudge stick alone is $22 so bought individually it would cost you $684 so I guess the retail value figure is probably correct prorated based on how much of each color you get.

Of course good couponistas would NEVER pay that much for fear of having their binder seized and their coupon privileges revocked. So lets see how this compares to other bargains. So I paid $29 for it. Now lets assume that we got the $22 smudge stick for 50% off so $29 - $11 = $18.  Ok divide that by the 36 eyeshadow + blushes it comes out to 50c per color which is exactly what I paid for the Covergirl singles in this weeks CVS sale. Now the pros and cons. Pro = better quality shadow than Covergirl. Cons = Less product than the Covergirl singles.

I think its a bargain. I have Stila palettes that have lasted me for years and colors are fantastic. What do your think. Bargain or Bust?

0 comments:

Post a Comment