Thursday, September 29, 2011

How many papers does one person need?

1? 10? 100? 10000?

When I first started I bought one solitary paper and clipped only the coupons I thought I would use. That didn't go well especially since I was trying to find the deals all on my home. My binder was a manilla folder I had stuffed in my glove box. The experiment lasted about 2 days and I wrote couponing off as a stupid fad. I think many wannabe EXTREME COUPONER'S fall into this category.

Then I tried again a few months later with a little more discipline using deal matchup sites. Still I bought only one paper and found I couldn't do most deals and it required buying more than one to get the good price or I would get something at a good price and then it would be eaten in 5 minutes and I would be left trying to find the deal again the next week.

Now I tend to get around 4-6 papers a week depending on how good the coupons are. If they coupons are good and I can use them straight away I get more. If only a couple are must have I get less papers and order more of a specific coupon of eBay.

I get 3 delivered to my door on Sunday. I buy 1-2 Weekend preview papers on Saturday since they have all the coupons too and sometimes you can use the coupons on a sale that ends Saturday. Then I will buy  my remaining papers on Sunday or throughout the week as the paper remains on sale all week.

I only buy the LA Times as the Daily Breeze and other smaller papers have less coupons even if they have the same inserts. Trust me on this

A money saving tip. I pay $1 a week per 4 day delivery. The cost of a Sunday Paper is $2. So it's better to get 2 delivered than 1 at the newsstand. Right now they have a deal for the Sunday paper only for 50c a week

If you have to buy a paper off the newsstand get the "Weekend Edition" It's available Saturday and is only $1.50. They remain on sale all week too.

Shout out to Toni my soon to be new convert. Don't go out and buy 10 papers like a crazy madwomen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment