Monday, August 29, 2011

Birthday Booty

No! Not that kind of booty!

Ever since I moved to the United States from New Zealand I've always had the dilemma of deciding when my birthday actually is. Y'see New Zealand is 20 hours ahead of the U.S so today is yesterdays news to them. So do I celebrate my NZ birthday or my US birthday. Of course there is only ONE logical conclusion. Celebrate my birthday on BOTH days. Now in my household this stretches out to be a birthday week/month depending on how festive I am feeling that year.

Of course with birthdays come birthday bargains. This is what I partook in this year to reduce the cost of eating out so many days in a row.

Benihana: Now I LOVE me some Benihana not as much as I love Gyu-Kaku but I still love it. What do I love more? A $30 free birthday gift certificate to be used within the month of my birthday simple for belonging to their "Chef's Table" club. What nice about this offer is it covers all your food and non-alcoholic beverages up to $30 which is a better value than just a free entree.  The catch is it's only valid m-Th. No big deal we ate on a Tuesday at lunch (better value) and got a whole table to ourselves. What impressed me was when we sat down because I had made a reservation 30 minutes prior and mentioned it was my birthday she asked me if I had my birthday certificate so NO problems redeeming it. Also I got a free picture with me and my honey and green tea ice cream. Also I should note that the certificate doesn't require you to take another person so if you wanted to pretend your not getting older you could go by yourself. (Hey don't knock I used to eat lunch at Benihana's up to 3x a week by my little old lonesome no big deal and is super fun and you meet a lot of cool people.)

Black Angus Steakhouse: Now if you a member of Black Angus's "Prime Club" you will receive a coupon for a free steak dinner on your birthday up to $20 in value but only if someone else goes with you and buys a full meal. You also get a cookie sundae and a silly happy birthday chant. Two things I like about Black Angus. 1) Blackberry Gingerale- tastes better than any drink in a chain restaurant has a right to. 2) Call ahead seating OR Reservations with Open Table which is my favorite. Just book a table on your mobile on the drive over.

Acapulco Cantina: If you belong to their "Email Club" (needs a sexy name doesn't it?) you will get a coupon for one free entree to use any time during the month of your birthday. You also get a flan and a birthday song in Spanish. I went to the location in San Pedro Ports 'O Call where we sat by the waterfront and they have mariachis to hire to play your favorite song. For me that is Besame Mucho which I sing along to in my broken spanish. General cost of mariachis is $5 a song.

Dennys: Now this one you don't need to belong to any club or list just show up at Dennys on your birthday flash the server your drivers license and get a free grand slam. Simple. Eggs, Bacon and Pancakes. Whats not to love?

Just a friendly reminder to be kind to your server and tip on the prediscounted bill. It takes just as much effort to serve a table with a coupon as it does without. Unless of course server was terrible in which case I a big fan of writing something dry and witty on the bill in lieu of a tip.

All links provided for your savings pleasure and not to line the insides of my pockets.


0 comments:

Post a Comment