Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Kiss and Makeup

It's probably a surprise to people who know me that I love buying makeup and I've spent a mere fortune on makeup in the past. I tend to go on binges and purges. Usually starting with spending a couple of hundred dollars worth at Sephora and then be horrified by it and didn't buy anything for months then rinse and repeat.

I used pay about $18 for a lipstick and really not think twice. I used to think it was a bargain when I recycled 5 MAC empties at the MAC store and got a free lipstick but it's not really that free when you've already shelled out $100 plus. I've used drugstore brands on and off over the years and have really not found any major difference in the products apart from the buying experience and how it makes me feel once I've bought it. You have to admit that Chanel compacts have a certain heft to them and make a very satisfying click when you snap them shut.

However if I'm going to live McFrugal some things needed to change. I've had a few traumatic experiences over this part year that has made me realize there are a lot more important things than money and prestige. And if money isn't that important then I shouldn't be frittering it away.

Some of the best couponing finds are at the drug store razors and cosmetics can be found for mere pennies and I'm not talking generic Wet and Wild stuff either. I think the drugstore brand on the right looks more prestigious than the MAC lippie on the left.


This week I took advantage of a sale they had at CVS and combined it with a coupon. The regular price for a Revlon lipstick at CVS is $8.99. This week it was on sale for $6.99 but wait there's still more. When you buy one at $6.99 you get $5 Extra Bucks to spend on your next transaction effectively making the price $1.99. I added a $1 off any Revlon Color Cosmetic to the mix to make the price 0.99c. I also had $5 Extra Bucks from my last transaction so I only paid 99c out of pocket (plus tax Uncle Sam always gets whats come to him)

So $8.99-$2 on sale - $5 Extra Bucks - $1 Coupon = 99c = Happiness.

Now the limit for the week is 3 of this item so if you have 3 coupons you could roll your Extra Bucks and get 3 lipsticks for 99c each. Now if your only starting to shop at CVS and have no Extra Bucks to start with your first transaction will be $5.99 out of pocket but you'll still have $5 Extra Bucks left at the end for next weeks bargains.

Clear as mud?

0 comments:

Post a Comment