Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tell me a story...

I'm a sucker for a good story. A color story that is.




"A story. That's what women get when they come to the beauty counter. A parable that takes strange, scary styles and explains them as something any women can own and wear. A diversion, an amusement, a distraction from woes and worries. A fantasy, a fable, a romance with a role for them to play"

With couponing to get the best deals on makeup you have to buy multiples of single items. Blushes or lipsticks or eye shadows. To get the whole story, the whole package will cost you a whole lot more. But let's face it we crave the story. We can't look like the model and live the fantasy like but you can wear the lipstick.

I wanted to see if I COULD buy the whole story and see how much I would save. I KNEW I wouldn't get it down to free but I could keep the OOP down and with using drugstore rewards maybe not pay any cash out of pocket.

Color stories are usually consisted of a few lipsticks a light one, a dark one and a crazy one and warm and cool eye shadows and sometimes matching blushes and eyeliners/mascaras. I'm normally inspired by the eye shadows and that's usually what I buy assuming I can match it up with a lipstick when I get home. I used to end up with eye shadows and no lipstick and no blush or only lip glosses.

 I was originally inspired by the L'Oreal Project Runway Fanciful Fowls collection and in particular the Watchful Owl color way. Color stories don't tend to stay on the store floor very long. Stock is limited so despite this collection being heavily advertised in all the Rite-Aid flyer's this month it was no where to be found in store.



I had seen it in store at CVS but Rite Aid had the far better deal this week with all L'Oreal being Buy One Get One 50% off PLUS $15 +UP rewards when you spend $50 before coupons. I DID end up buying two color collections. The "Color of Hope" collection. This collection is produced every year in support of ovarian cancer and L'Oreal donates $1 for each item purchased from the collection. The collection itself consisted only of eyeshadow palettes and lipsticks. I got the warm palette "Nostalgic Beauty" and the cool palette "Sentimental Splendor" and two lipsticks "Faithful" and Courageous" I chose what I thought were complementary blushes and a grey and brown eyeliners which I think are more wearable than black.

For coupons I had several $1/1 any L'Oreal Cosmetic, $1/1 any L'Oreal Eyeshadow and $2/1 any Blush. I also had a Rite Aid Video Values Coupon for $2/1  Color Riche Lipstick. With all the coupons and +UP I had from last weeks deals I paid $22.83 with taxes and got $15 +UP back. Not bad for 2 "stories"

0 comments:

Post a Comment